Instituting an Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Disaster Recovery Plan will help ensure the availability of communications hardware and services and will help minimize the impact on the company if a disaster does occur.
Here are the first 10 Tips for Developing Telecommunications Continuity Plans:
- Identify current and potential risks to your network infrastructure, addressing voice/data/video, security, operations, administration, and maintenance
- Determine how large a risk your company can take
- Determine business impact (e.g. loss of revenue) of a network infrastructure loss
- Obtain support from senior management as well as other departments
- Define a formal Incident Response/Recovery Team
- Team up with IT and business units in developing the program; coordinate with existing Business Continuity Programs
- Develop financial and operation models, with appropriate justifications
- Review/update/redefine network and data center architectures
- Determine recovery strategies, e.g. network diversity, redundant servers
- Identify and secure technologies and services that satisfy recovery strategies
In the next blog we will continue to identify the next 10 Tips in developing Telecommunications Continuity Plans.