Can outsourcing your BCP program to a consulting firm lead to improved efficiencies, effectiveness and ability to recover the critical processes and systems of your company in a cost effective and timely manner? Most absolutely. But before hiring a firm to lead your BCP and DR program do your homework:
- Require Metrics to Measure Maturity and Recovery Capability Level of Program Before, During and After Engagement
- Have a Proven Ability to Make Your Program Executable and Has Done It Multiple Times for Clients across Numerous Industries
- Be Specifically Focused on What Needs to Be Done for Your Organization and its Specific Recovery Requirements
- Possess the Methodology and Tools to Get the Job Done Quickly and in Line with Industry Standards and Best Practices
- Can Work Across the Multiple Disciplines of BCP and DR with a Single Team of Experts
- References Clearly Prove Ability to Build and Maintain a Program
We have seen outsourcing work very well with new programs getting off the ground and requiring a “Jump Start” to get moving quickly and in the right direction or with programs that have no direction or made little progress. The reality is simple, the majority of BCP and DR programs are NOT executable and CANNOT recover the mission critical business operations and systems/applications of their organizations. Why? There are a number of reasons but in many cases the BCP or DR planners do not have the experience or capability to lead a highly complex program in a timely and effective manner or through no fault of their own the program is too big for one person to handle. In some cases, the planners simply need our expertise to establish a framework for success for the future or the company knows BCP and DR is not a core competency and wants to transfer the responsibility and risk.
MHA currently serves as the BCP and/or DR Office for 10+ plus clients ranging in size from small to large global organizations. In the majority of cases, the client has decided to not hire a BCP person but use MHA, year after year. Once the program has been established, clients accurately budget a set amount knowing they are getting highly experienced BCP resources who will maintain the program at a high level of maturity and ability to execute over time that they require based on their organizational needs.
For the agreed upon yearly fee, MHA provides as many consulting resources needed to get the job done. During times of the year, the client may require multiple consultants and at other times less. This allows the client to ramp or down with additional expertise but not having to hire or pay for additional staff. Work is done onsite and remotely as needed.
If you hire the right firm, they will get the BCP work done quicker, faster and at a higher level of competence without having to hire an in-house person.