Over the next several weeks we will be sharing the Top 100 Tips for BCP Success.
This week, Top 10 tips for Management Oversight
1. Create an oversight team now, not tomorrow – Involving management early in the process can put your BCP on a better roadmap for long term.
2. Be small in number, focused and nimble – Have the key decision makers present in meetings. Too large of a group can lead to lengthy discussions and deviation from the agenda. Finding a balance can lead to quick, on-target resolutions.
3. Educate in all facets of BCP and DR – Having an understanding of both BCP and DR allows management to see the bigger picture – which leads to better decisions for the company as a whole.
4. Meet regularly – Business needs are always in flux. Having regular meetings will keep Business Continuity in line with the changes.
5. Be focused in delivery of content and materials – Having an unambiguous and standardized approach in all BCP content will unify and clarify your message.
6. Standardize meeting agenda and reporting – A consistent written meeting agenda focusing on high level decisions will make meetings more productive. Standardized reporting allows for easy, accurate comparison.
7. Prioritize decisions requiring their attention – Identify where direction is needed and ask clear, specific questions.
8. Document meeting minutes always – Meetings can have a considerable effect on the direction of work over the next quarter. Document everything so it is easier to reference later if needed.
9. Get signature approvals where appropriate – Having management approval for any major changes lessens the chance for waste of resources, which are valuable to any size company.
10. Value proposition is key to success – Focus on how the direction of your BCP will use the company’s resources to deliver outstanding value.
Next Post… Top 10 Tips for Budget