Over the next several weeks we will be sharing the Top 100 Tips for BCP Success.
This week, Top 10 tips for Management Oversight
- Create an oversight team now, not tomorrow – Involving management early in the process can put your BCP on a better roadmap for long term.
- Be small in number, focused and nimble – Have the key decision makers present in meetings. Too large of a group can lead to lengthy discussions and deviation from the agenda. Finding a balance can lead to quick, on-target resolutions.
- Educate in all facets of BCP and DR – Having an understanding of both BCP and DR allows management to see the bigger picture – which leads to better decisions for the company as a whole.
- Meet regularly – Business needs are always in flux. Having regular meetings will keep Business Continuity in line with the changes.
- Be focused in delivery of content and materials – Having an unambiguous and standardized approach in all BCP content will unify and clarify your message.
- Standardize meeting agenda and reporting – A consistent written meeting agenda focusing on high level decisions will make meetings more productive. Standardized reporting allows for easy, accurate comparison.
- Prioritize decisions requiring their attention – Identify where direction is needed and ask clear, specific questions.
- Document meeting minutes always – Meetings can have a considerable effect on the direction of work over the next quarter. Document everything so it is easier to reference later if needed.
- Get signature approvals where appropriate – Having management approval for any major changes lessens the chance for waste of resources, which are valuable to any size company.
- Value proposition is key to success – Focus on how the direction of your BCP will use the company’s resources to deliver outstanding value.
Next Post… Top 10 Tips for Budget