“The world is becoming turbulent faster than organizations are becoming resilient” Gary Hamel Harvard Business Review
Is your organization achieving higher levels of resiliency as the world becomes more turbulent? Or are you finding that your organizations resiliency is lacking or non-existent? It is clear that the speed at which turbulence is growing in our world is mind numbing and can impact us before we know what hit us. As the turbulence in our world increases, we must become more resilient in all aspects of business continuity planning at our organization.
We must look to prevent events from occurring versus reacting to their occurrence.
Adjectives that come to mind in defining Resiliency are
“elastic”, “flexible” and “hardy”. So how can we heighten our resiliency?
Here are some ideas I have:
- Have a clear understanding of the “human factor” and how to maximize people’s performance before, during and after a disaster
- Regularly researching current and future trends and adjusting continuity programs to address tomorrow’s needs today
- Establishing crisis management processes that are flexible, process oriented and adapts to the situation at hand
- Hardening our corporate landscape (e.g., people, technology, facilities, etc.) to permit multiple levels of redundancy and diversity
- Recovery strategies that permit for multiple options to be implemented, if needed
- Utilizing recovery exercises that require our staff to deal with multiple contingencies and drive them to think outside the box
- Using new technologies to communicate with our staff and stakeholders
It is becoming clear that we must take a different approach to being prepared in tomorrow’s world. I look forward to comments on the subject of resiliency and how organizations can take an enterprise wide approach.
About MHA: MHA Consulting, with its decade-long track record, is a proven leader in business continuity planning, disaster recovery planning, IT best practices, and data center moves and relocations. Everyday, MHA helps protect trillions of dollars of global-market assets and top companies around the world rely on MHA services for the continuity of their business. For more information on how to attend the online session, contact Michael Herrera at [email protected].